The Challenge and Objectives
A group of people must all get onto a wooden square platform so that no one is left touching the ground for a specified period of time, or for the duration of a song.
Tasks for the Instructor
- Get one of the wooden platforms from the COPE trailer. There are several sizes, with the smaller sizes being more of a challenge.
- Place the platform in an area clear of any obstacles that could injure a person who falls.
- Check the platform for sturdiness and any hazards such as protruding nail heads.
- Weight test the platform by putting all your weight on it.
- Issue the challenge to the group.
- At the end of the challenge, everyone must be off the ground without any part of anyone’s body touching the ground.
- Everyone in the group must remain on the platform long enough to recite a song or for a period specified by the facilitator or chosen by the group.
- Participants cannot be stacked on top of each other.
- Participants may not be on the shoulders or back of another.
- Facilitators should spot the group.
Variations for accomplishing the event
- Use increasingly smaller platforms to make it more challenging for the group.
After the event
- Lead a group discussion on the strengths and weaknesses of the group’s method.
- Have the group explore the possibility of a better or different way to achieve the challenge.