Hoops Around the Circle
The Challenge and Objectives
The group stands in a circle, grasping hands. Two participants rest a plastic hoop on the backs of their grasped hands, then the entire group causes the hoops to travel around a circle as quickly as possible by stepping through the hoop without releasing hand grips.
Tasks for the Instructor
- Set out hula hoops of varying sizes.
- Issue the challenge to the group.
- Break the circle and place two or more hoops in the circle with only one hoop between any two participants.
- Once the game begins, the circle cannot be broken.
Variations for accomplishing the event
- Connect two hoops with a carabiner and ask the group to pass everyone through BOTH hoops.
- Participants form a line and grasp the hand of the person in front who has placed one hand between their legs. Without releasing their grasp, participants maneuver a hoop over each person from one end of the line to the other and back again.
- Rotate two or more hoops around the circle in the same direction.
- Rotate hoops in opposite directions, using slightly smaller hoops in one direction.
After the event
- Lead a group discussion on the strengths and weaknesses of the group’s method.
- Have the group explore the possibility of a better or different way to achieve the challenge.