The Challenge and Objectives
Half the group will stand on each end of a pole or log that is lying on the ground. Without touching the ground, the two parties must change ends as quickly as possible.
Tasks for the Instructor
- Check the position and integrity of the pole.
- Divide the group in half and position players at opposite ends of the pole.
- Weight test the pole to ensure that it will not roll when people stand on it.
- Issue the challenge to the group.
- All members of the team must be on the pole or log through the challenge
- No part of anyone’s body may touch the ground.
- Assess a time penalty for every touch on the ground.
- Ensure that the pole/log is stable.
- Facilitators should spot the group.
Variations for accomplishing the event
After the event
- Lead a group discussion on the strengths and weaknesses of the group’s method.
- Have the group explore the possibility of a better or different way to meet the challenge.