The Challenge and Objectives
The group performs tasks while standing on a wooden platform balanced on the middle of a beam. See the list of variations below for ideas. Instructors can use their own creativity to create fun tasks – such as keeping the platform balanced while singing a song for 10 seconds, etc.
Tasks for the Instructor
- Check the platform for cracked or loose boards or protruding screws.
- Raise the platform to check for wildlife.
- Weight test the element by stomping on the platform to make sure it is solid throughout.
- Participants are instructed to balance the platform, distributing their teams weight around the platform
- Ask the group to create a plan for how to accomplish the challenge.
- Caution participants not to put hands or feet under the edges of the platform.
Variations for accomplishing the event
- Split the group in half at opposite ends of the platform. The group boards the “ship” without allowing the platform to touch the ground.
- The divided group changes ends of the platform without letting it touch the ground.
- With participants standing on the opposite edge of the platform, the group rotates 360 degrees without letting the platform touch the ground.
- With the divided group standing on the ground at each end of the platform, participants exchange ends with the fewest platform ground touches.
- With the group balanced in the center of the platform, participants move to the ends of the platform with the fewest possible platform ground touches.
- With the group balanced on the platform, everyone abandons ship (steps off the platform) without allowing the platform to touch the ground.
After the event
- Lead a group discussion on the strengths and weaknesses of the group’s method after each variation is attempted.
- Have the group explore the possibility of a better or different way to achieve the challenge.